Valheim offers you an exciting Nordic-style multiplayer survival game in which you can explore and conquer the mystical lands on a large generated game world. While you can play and progress Valheim alone, it’s much more fun with friends. You can consider renting a Valheim hosting for this or consider other options.
You can set up dedicated servers for Valheim but this task can be daunting and involves a lot of effort. This is advisable only if you have up to 10 players playing at the same time. In this post, we are going to cover the easiest way to play Valheim with 2-3 friends on the same server.
How to host the game locally on your PC
The easiest and fastest way to play Valheim co-op is to host the game on your own PC. We recommend this method if you are playing with two or three players. A good internet connection and a PC on which Valheim runs stably are required.
1. Start Valheim and select “Start Game” from the main menu
2. Choose an existing character or create a new one
3. Select the desired world and activate “Start server”
4. Starts the local server using the “Start” button
5. With Shift+Tab you can invite your friends via the Steam friends list
As soon as the local server is running, friends can also join the game directly via Steam. This can also be done via the Steam friends list. Your friends choose your name here and click on “Join Game”.
How to join a private server in Valheim
Private servers do not appear in the server list. You can only join them through the server IP address and the port. This information is available from the provider of the game server or from the person who created the dedicated server. In the game itself, you can enter the data by selecting your character, clicking on “Join Game” and then selecting “Join IP”.
Alternatively, you can also add the server via the Steam server browser. This gives you the advantage that the data is saved.
1. Open Steam and select “View” – “Server” from the menu
2. In the new window click on “Favorites” and then on “Add server”
3. Enter the IP and port
4. Add the server and then update the list
Read also: The Rise of Kingdoms 101
Rent your own Valheim server
You can also play Valheim on a rented server. When choosing a provider, pay attention to what your requirements are. Therefore, compare the different providers and costs. So that you can play stress-free with your friends on your server, we recommend considering the following points when choosing a game server provider:
– Prepaid payment: If you want to rent your own Valheim server without a minimum term, you have to pay in advance. If you don’t feel like playing Valheim anymore, you can let the server run out and you are not tied to a contract period. But you have to make sure you have enough credit if you want it to continue.
– DDoS protection: A good rental server has some protection against malicious attacks. Many providers have DDoS protection.
– Server location: A short and direct connection to the server location guarantees you a low ping and less lag.
Final thoughts to Valheim game
Since its release in Early Access on February 2nd, 2021, the game has offered a lot of varied content. The ratings on Steam are very positive at over 96%. Valheim manages to create a wonderful atmosphere with harmonious light and shadow compositions and the varied boss fights challenge solo players and groups alike. Don’t be left out. Discover the Valheim game and enjoy it with family and friends.